PADI Advanced Open Water Diver
Exploration, Excitement, Experiences. They’re what the PADI Advanced Open Water Diver course is all about. And no, you don’t have to be “advanced” to take it – it’s designed so you can go straight into it after the PADI Open Water Diver course. The Advanced Open Water Diver course helps you increase your confidence and build your scuba skills so you can become more comfortable in the water. This is a great way to get more dives under your belt while continuing to learn under the supervision of your PADI instructor. This course builds on what you’ve learned and develops new capabilities by introducing you to new activities and new ways to have fun scuba diving.
You’ll hone your skills by completing five adventure dives:
- Underwater Navigation
- Deep Diver
- Night Diver
- Search and Recovery Diver
- Peak Performance Buoyancy
*If you like to take other adventure dives aside from the ones mentioned above, feel free to discuss this with your instructor.
The knowledge and skills you get in the Advanced Open Water Diver course vary with your interest and the adventures you have, but include:
- Practical aspects of deep diving
- Physiological effects of deeper scuba diving.
- More ways to use your underwater compass
- How to navigate using kick-cycles, visual landmarks and time
- How to better use your dive computer
- And much, much more, depending on the Adventure Dives you choose
A. Training Sessions
1. Independent Study
Your instructor will meet with you prior the course proper for a briefing and to give you the dive learning materials needed for your home-study.
The following action items below need to be completed prior meeting with your instructor for the knowledge review.
i. Read the Advanced Open Water Diver Manual
ii. Answer the Knowledge Reviews every end of the chapter
2. Knowledge Review
You and your instructor will meet to recap your answers on the knowledge reviews. He will also highlight important points and review the items you may have missed.
3. Adventure Dives
This is where you will practice the skills and concepts learned from the book and during the knowledge review.
1. Be 15 years or older (12 for Junior Advanced Open Water Diver)
2. Have a PADI Open Water Diver certification (or have a qualifying certification from another organization)
1. Course Fee is Php 15,000 which includes.
a. PADI Advanced Open Water Manual
b. PADI Advanced Open Water License
2. Overnight Resort Fee depends on the resort of choice. The estimated cost is around Php 7,000 which includes:
a. 4 buffet meals
b. Tank use for the open water dives
c. Dive Pass
d. 5 Dives
e. Boat Expenses
f. Resort Facility use which includes room sharing
* The estimated cost is based on room and boat sharing.
3. Gears. Students will have to bring their own gear (mask, snorkel, fins, BCD, regulator, weights, exposure suit). Students will also have to bring 2 underwater flash lights, 1 inflatable signaling device (safety sausage) and compass. Dive computer, reef hook and gloves not required but recommended. Your instructor will help you with your rentals in case you don’t have your own gears yet. Gear rentals usually cost around 2,500 for 2 days. This is only an estimate depending on the gears you need to rent.
4. Transportation Cost and other incidental (snacks, soda, etc) are not included in any of the fees mentioned above.
a. If there are circumstances that will make you unavailable on the agreed upon training schedules, you have to inform your instructor 24 hours ahead of time to give him time to cancel the dive resort reservation.
b. Failure to make the courtesy notice 24 hours before the training schedule will incur additional charges on your course fee to cover for the resort penalties.
c. If you have to cancel your training schedules 3 times or more, you will be charged an additional 10% of the course fee to cover for logistics expenses.
d. Though the course is performance-based (and not time-based), if the student unusually needs more training time, your instructor may request for additional charges to cover for extended training sessions. Your instructor will discuss this with you if needed.
D. Payment Scheme:
a. First Payment – Php10,000 as downpayment upon receipt of the Advanced Open Water Diver Manual.
b. Second Payment – Php 5,000 on or before the start of the actual Advanced Open Water Training Session.